Wednesday 25 January 2012

My Mum

As many of you know my Mum has been very unwell for a long time with a chronic heart condition and secondary breast cancer cells in her lungs.  Last night she finally gave up the fight and left us all at 10pm.


We met with the Doctors on Tuesday at  midday who advised a recent scan showed her cancer had spread and was causing all sorts of problems.  Her weak heart could not support any more treatment. She had also developed infections in her lungs and kidneys.  So we (Dad, myself and my brothers) all agreed it was best to let her go.  The Doctors and nurses made sure she was comfortable and pain free and then gradually removed all support.  


We sat with her from 1pm - 10pm.  It was a very special time and we talked and reminisced a lot.  Although she was not conscious I truly believe at some level she could hear us all babbling on - "do you remember the time when...." .


I say "we sat with her"  - I actually left at 6.30pm to go and be with the very amazing and brave Ella at the oncology hospital who decided to go on in and start her new chemo treatment and get on with getting better.  Then I came home - where the very wonderful Sophie hugged me and cooked my dinner.


Mum - I already miss you so much, I find it hard to imagine the journey ahead without you.  You constantly gave me the strength and the reassurance that I could and must continue.  I will do my very best X





10 comments:

  1. All my love is with you right now maisy x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you all. What an amazing woman, she will really be missed. See you at the weekend. Annie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely words, thanks Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking about you all at this very sad time. Love you heaps - Gaynor & Ian xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear this news. So beautifully written, Jo. Your family has been through so much. Our thoughts are with you all. x Kylie & David

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Jo: I'm grateful to have read your beautiful words and proud to have had your mum as my aunt and godmother. I'll be thinking of you all in the next few days. Love from Simon (in San Francisco).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all, as ever your comments and support always help.
    Hello Cousin Simon in SFO - good to hear from you, albeit in the not best circumstances

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Jo: I know that yesterday was a very hard day for you all and I hope that you managed to get through the services and reception OK. I remember vividly that my mother's funeral was a very cathartic experience but the cremation afterwards and the immediate 24 hours following were hard to bear. It took time to heal the wounds of the emotional fall-out but they did heal and I'm now able to remember both Mum and Dad and be thankful for what they gave me. Your mother was very special and I remember exactly what she said the last time we visited (I can't write it down...!). I hope we can get together next time I'm over; if you come to SF again do come and stay/visit/eat here. Simon xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Simon,
    Would love to visit in SFO, but at present can hardly imagine ever leaving Bristol again!! Our world of cancer is very small, but I believe that one day it will change and cancer will not dominate and we will be free to travel around the world again. Would love to know what my Mum said to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jo,
    Before people pass they say their hearing becomes really strong..I am sure your Mum heard everything you said and felt all the love.
    Take care - keep on breathing...keep on going....keep on smiling, that's what they would want.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete